Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I have been playing with a camera since my parents brought our first Polaroid Instant Camera home in early 80's. I can remember the anticipation of seeing my work, watching as the picture came to life. I was fascinated by the fact that I had the ability to stop time. That moment will never happen again, but it was preserved forever on a little 3 x 4 card.

As a kid, my photography started off as pranks to upset my victims. I enjoyed capturing people in humorous situations. This mischievous behavior actually turned into an art form over time. I noticed that the true personality of the subject was revealed in the photo when they were not aware of my presence. I also liked the fact that emotions were real and the smiles were natural.

I have jokingly referred to my style of photography as "Ninja Photography." You can't see or hear me when I am in "Ninja" mode. When my services are requested,  I like to melt into the background so I can zoom in on special moments. I am not a fan of forced smiles or perfectly posed people. I want to capture the essence of the person. I also like to pay attention to the things we take for granted (for example: a close up of a couple holding hands or the tiny hospital band on a newborn.) When my photos are found in old shoe boxes someday, I want that image to reflect the emotion of that moment. I am not opposed to posing people when it's requested; however I wait to take the picture when my subjects have relaxed or forgotten that I am there. I have a knack for becoming invisible in these situations. I love to capture a funny glance shared between two siblings, a dog that wont cooperate with a family photo, or laughter shared in a the moment.

Photography to me is a moment captured in time. You can't go back in time, but you can save it in a picture.
This is a big sister with her newborn sister. The little one was actually crying when I took the picture.  She was trying to comfort her.

A text message between friends before a wedding.

A moment between a mother and daughter. The mother was the bride and the daughter was helping her hold her dress up in the bathroom stall.

Taken during a wedding ceremony. The couple was holding hands in the middle of a song.

A father listening to his daughter read her vows in a front yard wedding ceremony. The father was very ill so the couple had the ceremony at his home so he could be there.

A planned posed shot that went wonderfully wrong!

A moment between my brother and his wife.

Siblings on their way to a place where the mother wanted pictures taken. The twins looked up at their sister so I took the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment